A BRIEF HISTORY OF THE SCHOOL
1905: Tonbridge County School opened on 24 January in the Technical Institute in Avebury Avenue Tonbridge. There were 19 students. The first Head Teacher, Mrs Taylor introduced the school motto, Courage and Honour.
1906: Junior girls moved to Brionne on the Pembury Road (now Charities and Commission offices).
1913: The school moved to the School on the Hilltop on Deakin Leas.
1919: The Annexe building was constructed.
1941: The first of the temporary huts was built (That were temporary for 70 years!)
1944: The Education Act of 1944 made the County School into the County Grammar School for Girls for pupils who passed the new Eleven Plus exam.
1947: The canteen was built.
1952: Kentleys boarding house was opened and quickly filled its capacity of 19 boarders. (Kentleys closed in July 1989).
1957: The school hall, science block, gymnasium, Head teacher’s office and school office were added.
1963: The school swimming pool opened.
1967: Library wing and music block were built.
1974: The Hillview annexe was built (later to be known as the Mitchener Centre).
1995: Swimming pool refurbishment.
2000: The Matthews Centre, more commonly known as the Tech block was dedicated to the memory of Gary Matthews, Vice Chair of Governors 1993 to 1999.
2009: The Hands Building was officially opened on Wednesday 31 March.
2010: The original School on the Hilltop redevelopment was completed in June 2010.
2015: The opening of the IBarn and major refurbishments to Music.
2018: #OurBigOutdoors for sport and recreation at TGS.