All students choose an appropriate language course from those offered in the secondary language group 2 of the IB hexagon. In addition to French, German and Spanish offered at standard and higher levels there are courses that you can choose to start as a beginner (Ab initio).
Over the 2 year course, you develop an awareness of the full range of language usage; from colloquial idioms to formal business language. These skills are an integral part of speaking, reading and writing. We actively promote and encourage a profound understanding of culture and society in the target language countries. It focuses on teaching the language in context, promoting the development of linguistic skills alongside increasing awareness of social, economic and political aspects.
You have the opportunity to experience the language in real life situations by:
- going on an exchange to Geneva and Spain
- work experience in Germany
- becoming Chairs of committee or part of a delegation at the MUNGA in Geneva
- competing in the UK Linguistic Olympiad and in inter-school debating competitions
- editing a termly International Newsletter