Siling

Siling Zhang

Years at TGS: 2008-2015 

Subjects at IB: Higher Level: Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics.  Standard Level: English Literature, Spanish and Geography. 

House: Carey.

Destination after TGS: Clare College Cambridge to study Engineering (specialising in Mechanical Engineering). 

Where do you hope to be post university?   I’d love to be a project manager for an automotive engineering company; designing cars is my passion.  

I was fortunate enough to take part in the Bridgestone World Solar Car Challenge in Australia, that saw a team at Cambridge University build and race a solar powered car from Darwin to Adelaide.

I’m passionate about encouraging more young people to enter engineering, so much so that this is the subject of my dissertation.  I really hope to continue to do this in the future too. 

You studied the IB Diploma at TGS – how has this helped at university? Studying English and Humanities alongside Sciences, meant I knew how to write; something that was perhaps trickier for non IB students.  Studying Theory of Knowledge (TOK) is great as it challenges you to always enquire and question why you do things. 

How did TGS support your Cambridge application? They were great. They arranged two mock interviews with engineers for me, and gave me extensive pre-interview support. 

What would you tell someone thinking of studying sciences at Tonbridge Grammar School?  Both the school and the IB is great.  I really like the focus the IB has on enquiry-based learning. 

Favourite book of all time?: Pride and Prejudice.  

Most inspirational place you’ve been? On top of a snow-capped mountain in France. 

What makes you smile?  When I’ve achieved something, however large or small.

Tell us your story.

We are shortly launching TGS Connections, a platform that will be a social and professional network hub for alumni, corporate partners, parents and friends of the school.

We’d love to include your story. Please use the link below to submit your story. We look forward to hearing how you’re getting on.